So this morning saw me chatting to the imitable food presence that is William Sitwell on his “Biting Talk” show on Soho Radio. Some of you may recognise him from such things as the Mastechef food critics table, or from Waitrose Kitchen magazine. By the by, conversation ranged from cupcakes (of course!) to beards (well why not) to cartoon franchising (you’ll just have to listen for that one!) If you missed out here’s the link below for you aural delectation…
As only expected for #thebeardedbaker I brought along some baked goods for sampling. Yes, I know it was only 9am in the morning but (a bit like gin!) it’s always cake o’clock somehwere in there world. So the team at Soho Radio had the pleasure (I hope!) of trying out two new recipes for brownies and cupcakes-
In the event that these have piqued your intrest and tingled your tastebuds here’s the recipe for the Chocolate Cherry brownies. Do bear in mind that these are exceptionally rich- a chocolate motherload not for the faint-hearted! As such I recommend cutting them down into half the traditional brownie size.
Chocolate Cherry & Pink Peppercorn Cheesecake Brownies
Makes 18 (deep pan) or 40 (shallow pan)
185g unsalted butter 185g, cubed
185g 70% cocoa dark chocolate, broken into pieces
275g caster sugar
85g plain flour
50g cocoa powder
1 tbsp Espresso powder
50g 70% cocoa dark chocolate chunks
50g white chocolate chunks
100g glace cherries, halved
280g cream cheese
60g caster sugar
3 tbsp pink peppercorns, lightly crushed
50g white chocolate chunks
- Set your oven to 180C/gas mark 4 and line a deep 12″x9″ baking tray with baking parchment. * See note for brownie numbers
- Melt the butter and chocolate in a bowl over a saucepan of simmering water (or bain-marie), stirring occasionally. Once melted, remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Beat the eggs and sugar until the mixture is thickened and fluffy.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, and espresso powder.
- Fold the cooled chocolate mixture into the egg mixture.
- Sieve in the dry ingredients, and fold together.
- Fold in the chocolate chunks and cherries until well combined.
- Pour your mixture into the lined tray and gently spread to level the surface.
- For the cheesecake, beat the cream cheese, caster sugar, and egg in a separate bowl until smooth.
- Melt the white chocolate (either over hot water or in a microwave in short bursts).
- Add the pink peppercorns and melted chocolate into the cheesecake mixture and mix well.
- Pour/ place blobs of the cheesecake mixture on top of the chocolate brownie mixture.
- Swirl with a knife or a skewer to create a marbled effect throughout the batter
- Place in the oven for 35-40 minutes, then leave to cool completely in the tin before removing from the tin or cutting into squares.
- Leave to cool, then serve.
*If you use a 12” x 9” tin you will get 20 brownies (cutting 4 x 5) and then divide further down in half to give you 40 brownie “bars”. If you use a 9” x 9” silicone brownie pan (available from Lakleand) you’ll get 9 deeper brownies which you can cut down in half to give you 18 brownie “bars”.