- 2/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 large egg white
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 1/2 cups sweetened coconut
- 1 cup chocolate spread
- Chocolate candy eggs
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat mat
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sweetened condensed milk, egg white, vanilla extract, and salt. Stir until combined. Add in the coconut and mix well
- With a spoon, or cookie scoop, scoop up about 2 Tablespoons of the coconut batter and place onto the prepared baking sheet. Form the cookies into the shape of a bird nest. Press down the centre with your thumb
- Bake cookies for 17 to 20 minutes, or until slightly golden brown. Remove from the oven and press your thumb down in the centre of the nests again- carefully, they will still be a bit hot!
- Cool the cookies on the baking sheets for about 5 minutes or until they are firm and set. Remove with a spatula onto a cooling rack. Cool completely
- Pipe about a tablespoon of chocolate spread in the centre of each nest. Place 3 egg candies in the centre of the nest. Finish decorating the remaining nests and serve
Note: You can make these 2-3 days in advance. Store in an air-tight container on the counter. You can also freeze unfilled macaroon nests for up to 3 months. To defrost the macaroons, put them on a wire rack at room temperature for 2-3 hours to come to room temperature.