This recipe provided an ideal use for some apples from our back garden. Quick and easy it’s an ideal comfort food for this time of year when the temperature takes a turn. Warming and comforting with the right amout of spice it’s fantastic with custrd or cream alike. The addition of both the rosewater and parmesan may seem a bit strange but bear with me. You won’t regret it! The rose water lifts flavour of the apple filling while the parmesan in the crumb topping adds a savory note. Just think of a cheeseboard with fruit on it!
Spiced Apple Crumble with parmesan and rosewater
1 kg apples, peeled, cored and sliced
1 tablespoon lemon juice
3 tablespoon rosewater eg Saveur de Maroc
1 tablespoon mixed spice
50g light brown sugar
150g plain flour
100g light brown sugar
90g cold butter, cubed
25g rolled oats
2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, finely grated
To make the filling
– Preheat the oven to 190C/170 fan/gas 5.
– Toss the apple pieces in the lemon juice, rosewater, mixed spice and light brown sugar until evenly coated.
– Transfer to a 10inch by 2 inch deep pie dish.
To make the topping
– In a large bowl combine the flour, light brown sugar, oats, parmesan and butter. Rub in with your finger tips until the mixture resmebles breadcrumbs.
– Sprinkle the crumb mixtureover the apple filling, gently pressing down where needed. Take care not to press it too tight as this will just make the crumble a solid topping- you dont wantthis.
– Bake in your preheated oven for 30-25 mins until the topping is golden. When you slide in a knife the apple should have softened and you should feel some give. If you prefer your filling softer, you can bake for another 5 to 10 minutes.
– Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 15 minutes before serving.
– Serve with custard, cream or ice cream and enjoy!